Re: Classifying bound periodicals (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 31 Aug 1998 21:54 UTC

2 messages, 52 lines:

(1)---------------------------
Date:         Mon, 31 Aug 1998 13:44:51 -0400
From:         Deborah Harrell <dharrell@WESTGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Classifying bound periodicals (5 messages)

We shelve all our periodicals together alphabetically, no matter the
format.  Many students from all over the state come to us to use our
collection and tell us how easy it is/convenient it is because everything
IS all together.

We do have all our periodicals in our OPAC (we assign an inhouse number
for each title--it's only used for identification purposes).

Debbie Harrell
Ingram Library, State University of West Georgia
phone: 770-836-6498
fax: 770-836-6626
<dharrell@WESTGA.EDU>

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Mon, 31 Aug 1998 15:51:39 -0500
From:         Saretta Burke <sburke@owens.cc.oh.us>
Subject:      Re: Classifying bound periodicals

> We are considering classing our bound periodicals (which are now shelved
> alphabetically), and leaving our current periodicals in alphabetical order.
> We have about 2,000 current subscriptions.  We would be interested in the
> experiences of libraries with alphabetical current and classed bound
> collections: any problems this arrangement causes for users or staff, and/or
> advantages for either group.  We thank in advance anyone who might respond.

We used to classify our bound periodicals... but when we stopped
binding in favor of microfiche it seemed rather foolish to keep
periodicals in three places. We removed the accession numbers and the
classification numbers on the old bound volumes which we still keep
on the shelf at the beginning of the run of the individual title,
the only interruption being for microfiche which is shelved in a
separate-but-nearby cabinet.

Saretta

Saretta K. Burke
Owens Community College Library