Paying by the article (Anne Frohlich) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 12 Aug 1998 16:24 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:08:34 -0500
From: Anne Frohlich <frohlich@ACC.MCNEESE.EDU>
Subject: Paying by the article

Have you seen the article on the Chronicle of Higher Education Web Page
about the experiment "Paying by the Article, Libraries test a new model for
scholarly journals?"

http://chronicle.com/free/v44/i49/49a02101.htm

I think this is a far more useful model than subscriptions to journals that
are seldom used.  The difficulty would be controlling our costs if our
budget ran out before the patrons had ordered all the articles they needed.

We would really get a fix on what our patrons used with a system like this.

Anne Frohlich, Serials Librarian        Phone:318-475-5741
McNeese State University                Fax:318-475-5719
Library - Serials Dept.         http://www.mcneese.edu/depts/library/
Box 91445
Lake Charles, LA 70609