Re: Instructor - Primary and Intermediate (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 27 Aug 1998 21:03 UTC

3 messages, 79 lines:

(1)---------------------------
Date:         Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:09:07 -0400
From:         Jean Lenville <jlenvill@RICHMOND.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Instructor - Primary and Intermediate

We haven't ALWAYS known this - we were also trying to get BOTH editions,
mostly because right on the cover it says "Is your Library complete?" -
implying that you need both! Back in 1996 when these "split" the publisher
was very helpful, and sent us a copy of each to verify that they are not
substantially different, just as you did. Also, both "editions" had the
same ISSN, and nothing had been done to the OCLC record. We decided to
keep the "Primary", and put a note in our catalog in case anyone asked.
But I just checked, and see that there are now seperate OCLC records, so
thanks for bringing this up! But can anyone verify the ISSN issue? My
instinct is that both can have the same one since content isn't
substantially different. But it is certainly confusing!

Jean Lenville, Serials Librarian
Univ. of Richmond, VA
mailto:jlenvill@richmond.edu

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Thu, 27 Aug 1998 14:19:05 -0400
From:         Connie Hickman <hickman@GLORIA.CORD.EDU>

We've been having the same problem with subscriptions to these two titles.
The magazines' contents are astonishingly alike.  I've just examined our
May/June issue and there are some differences.  The primary issue has a
theme club section (1 page foldout) and a poster. (baseball).  The teaching
writing section (p. 57-58) is different and has a different author, and the
summer reading booklist is different.    With approximately 5 pages out of
75 that are different, it certainly seems that this could be all one
magazine as it was in the past.

Connie Hickman
Serials Coordinator
Carl B Ylvisaker Library
901 8th St S
Concordia College
Moorhead, Mn 56562
hickman@cord.edu

(3)---------------------------
Date:         Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:15:50 -0500
From:         Pauline Bryant <bryantp@SWOSU.EDU>

This is amazing!  I wasn't aware they were one and the
same.  We only wanted one or the other (on a consistent
basis) but seem to get first one and then the other.
When I talked to the publisher about establishing which
one we wanted, I was never told the content was the same.
This information helps!  Maybe I shouldn't worry about
which one we get and accept what comes.

Thanks for the information.

Pauline Bryant
bryantp@swosu.edu