Re: Binding frequency (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 02 Sep 1998 21:21 UTC

3 messages, 80 lines:

(1)----------------------------
Date:         Wed, 2 Sep 1998 13:41:06 -0700
From:         Carol Morse <MorsCa@WWC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Binding frequency

We send bindery orders 4 times a year, mostly during breaks of the school
year.  The bindery is supposed to guarantee 4 week's turn-around time,
which they are pretty good at.  We pick up whatever needs to be bound at
the time.  Our automated system is s et to tell us what titles are ready
to be bound at the time the first issue of the next binding increment is
in the library (that way we have something displaying on the current
shelves).  Titles are bound according to the thickness of the volume, for
exa mple 3 or 4 times a year for weeklies, and sometimes once every 2 or 3
years for thin publications.  We box a lot of periodicals, since binding
is rather expensive.  I know that boxing can be just as costly in the long
run because it's so much more labor- intensive, etc., but the people who
decided the bottom lines don't take all those factors into consideration.

Most of our current periodicals are open to the public.  We have about 20
popular titles that are likely to walk off on reserve (2 hour check-out),
which is in the circulation/reserve department of the library.  We do not
classify our bound periodicals, mostly because it would be a big project
requiring a special budget.

Hope this helps.

Carol Morse                                    Phone: 509:527-2684
Serials Librarian                              Fax::  509) 527-2001
Walla Walla College Library            Email:  morsca@wwc.edu
105 S.W. Adams St.
College Place, WA  99324-1195

Grant us strength for the journey and wisdom to know the way.

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:16:16 -0400
From:         Gregory Szczyrbak <gszczyrb@MARAUDER.MILLERSV.EDU>

Stephanie Gehring wrote:
> I'd be interested in finding out from some of you (1) how often you bind
> periodicals and

        We send a shipment to our binder every month.  A shipment is
usually anywhere from 80 - 200 volumes, but generally the average is 120.
Frequency of binding for specific issues depends on the
publication frequency and thickness of the the title in question.

> (2) are your current periodicals kept out on the floor
> (completely open to patrons) or is it neccesary for patrons to ask

        Our bound periodicals are in the open stacks.  There is need for
patrons to request the items.

Gregory Szczyrbak                       (717) 872-3645 DESK
Millersville University                 (717) 872 3854 FAX
Ganser Library - Periodicals            gszczyrb@marauder.millersv.edu
Millersville, PA 17551                  http://marauder.millersv.edu/~serials/

(3)----------------------------
Date:         Wed, 2 Sep 1998 15:42:36 -0400
From:         Bill Warren <WARREN@MYRIAD.MIDDLEBURY.EDU>
Subject:      1) binding frequency; 2) access to current periodicals

Stephanie--
     1) We send a shipment to our bindery every two weeks.
     2) Our current periodicals (about 2,000 titles) are on open shelves,
freely available for use in the library.  Our periodicals do not circulate.

Bill Warren
Middlebury College Library
Middlebury, Vermont USA
WARREN@MYRIAD.MIDDLEBURY.EDU