Re: Binding frequency (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 03 Sep 1998 15:32 UTC

3 messages, 114 lines:

(1)----------------------------
Date:         Thu, 3 Sep 1998 07:01:11 -0500
From:         Merle Kimball <makimb@JANUS.SWEM.WM.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Binding frequency

Stephanie,

     We pull periodicals for binding on a continuing basis and have a two
week turn-around time. Our bindery is only an hour away which is very
helpful.  During our heavy use months (Oct.-Nov., March-April) I review
the "pull for bind" slips and keep certain titles inhouse until the end of
the semester.  These are usually the heavily used titles and the ones I
know we get complaints about. Otherwise, binding done throughout the year
as we do not have the manpower to do it all at once.

    The departmental libraries are responsible for pulling the unbound
issues and bringing them over to be bound.

    Our current issues are on open shelves except for nine titles which
are used heavily or disappear if we leave them on the shelves. We have a
public service desk and sign these issues out. It is supposed to be taken
over by Reserve when our building is renovated. We occasionally have
problems with a particular title and pull and keep in the office for a
year or two, then put it back out.

    Our current issues and bound volumes are non-circulating.

                               Merle Kimball
                               Serials & Preservation Librarian
                               E.G. Swem Library
                               College of William & Mary
                               Williamsburg, VA  23187-8794

                               e-mail:  makimb@mail.swem.wm.edu

(2)----------------------------
Date:         Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:16:11 -0500
From:         Jeanette Skwor <SKWORJ@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU>

***I send out a bindery shipment on the average of once a month, about 150
volumes per month.  I am, however, responsible for all library binding,
including monographs and theses, and that number includes those--about 25%
of our total bindery output.

***We shelve our periodicals alphabetically and all are kept out, open to
patrons.  I (mentally) divide the floor into sections and send one section
(eg, A-B, C-G, etc.) every month.  In the summer I do a mad dash over the
whole floor and send out the most current volume I can grab, of everything
and send the indexes out.

Jeanette Skwor
Cofrin Library
UW-Green Bay
SKWORJ@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU

(3)----------------------------
Date:         Thu, 3 Sep 1998 11:55:10 -0700
From:         Lesley Tweddle <Ltweddle@AUCEGYPT.EDU>

We bind usually by publisher's volume, unless that makes an uncomfortably
thick object, in which case our binding staff come and ask our advice
about how many issues they should bind together and that is written onto
the Current Periodicals Room list to assist those collection for binding.

Our turnaround time for binding is not more than two weeks, plus a few
days either end when items are waiting to be picked up (and readers can
be led to them) or waiting to be unpacked, checked and returned to
stacks.  Therefore in general we don't try to bind during the vacations,
or anything fancy, but just keep going all year round.  We collect for
binding when the first issue of the next volume (or binding set)
arrives.

All our unbound (current) periodicals are inside a reading room which
has its own photocopy service and is continuously supervised.  Not only
do they not circulate - they don't leave that room!

Yes, we still lose some.

Lesley Tweddle
Serials Librarian
American Univ in Cairo