Motor Age (Elmer Klebs) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 11 Sep 1998 21:06 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 16:22:36 -0400
From: Elmer Alvin Klebs <ekle@LOC.GOV>
Subject: Motor Age (Saretta Burke) -Reply

     Since it turns out that LC _has_ gotten around to dealing with the "Motor
age" title changes, I thought I'd point out how we dealt with the problem.
Since the publisher's name (Cahners, not Cahner) is not gramatically linked to
the title on the main source, we created a new record for "Motor age (Radnor,
Pa. : 1997)" [(OCoLC)37908615], noted Cahners in an "At head of title" note, and
linked back to the earlier "Chilton's motor age."  But if the publisher started
putting the apostrophe after the "s" in it's name in the chief source, the
current rules _would_ consider it a title change and require a new record.

     Does this help?

Elmer Klebs (ekle@loc.gov)
Serials Cataloger
Library of Congress

"The preceeding is an (unofficial) personal message, and should not be viewed as
an Official Statement of policy or practice of the Library of Congress."

>>> Saretta Burke <sburke@OWENS.CC.OH.US> wrote:

What are the rest of you doing about this?  Chilton is no longer publishing a
whole list of periodicals beginning with "Chilton's ..." i.e. Chilton's Motor
Age.  For a few issues it came as plain Motor
Age, now I see the current publisher, Cahner, has put their name up front as
"Cahner's Motor Age".

I think I'll just use Motor Age.  Is there anything to prevent that?
That is what the whole world calls it, anyhow.  It would take a long time for LC
to get around to all the name changes.

Saretta K. Burke
Owens Community College Library
P O Box 10,000
Toledo, OH  43699-1947 voice: 419-661-7221 fax: 419-661-7021 e-mail:
sburke@owens.cc.oh.us