Re: How do journals become indexed? (Albert Henderson) Stephen Clark 22 Oct 1998 13:19 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:28:36 -0400
From: Albert Henderson <NobleStation@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject: How do journals become indexed? (Teri Oparanozie)

on Wed, 21 Oct 1998 Teri Oparanozie <LIB_TLO@SHSU.EDU> wrote

> I am writing on behalf of a faculty member at my university who is the
> editor of a journal called JOURNAL OF BUSINESS STRATEGIES which is
> published on our campus by the Center of Business and Economic
> Research.  This faculty member would like to have the journal indexed in
> sources such as CARL UNCOVER, ABI/INFORM, BUSINESS PERIODICALS INDEX,
> etc.  She was given the impression that librarians need to nominate her
> journal to be included in the Wilson indexes.  (She didn't get a
> response from someone she tried to contact last year from Wilson.) And a
> colleague suggested that if her journal was microfilmed by UMI, they
> might want to include it in ABI/INFORM.  I will contact UMI about that.
> If anyone has other suggestions or insights into this matter, I'd
> appreciate hearing from you. Thanks in advance.

Every A&I service has its own procedures and criteria. Your
colleague's best course is to make certain that services of
potential interest are aware of the journal. Sending samples
with a covering letter would be appropriate.

Albert Henderson, Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY
<70244.1532@compuserve.com>
.
.