Re: OPAC labels for web/lan resources (Beth Guay) Stephen Clark 26 Oct 1998 14:03 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 17:24:13 -0400
From: Beth Guay <bg53@UMAIL.UMD.EDU>
Subject: Re: OPAC labels for web/lan resources (Ruth Christ)

Ruth,
Another side of the coin:

1. We don't have a specific label for the 856 field. It appears under the
label, among other fields: "OTHER ENTRIES."

2. The location code we use is: "NETWRK WWW."

3. We do indeed class our electronic publications, however we do our best
to alert our users that the call number is not really a "stacks" location.
We create a dummy barcode which contains typical holdings data, i.e., the
call number, the location code, and the item status ("Noncirculating," of
course), and fortunatly, a public note, which reads "AVAILABLE ONLINE."

4. For electronic publications received through subscription, as for all
serial publications, the default display is a brief record in the
catalog with a summary holdings record attached. Here, the call number is
displayed with "COMPUTER FILE" appended to it. Our standard summary
holdings note:
"For mode of access see full record; access to holdings also available via
the University of Maryland Libraries' homepage."

I haven't heard of a single complaint from Public Services staff about the
call number creating confusion for our patrons. So I'd say that our
practice of providing a call number adds value to the cataloging record.

Cheers,
Beth Guay

Serials Cataloging Unit
McKeldin Library