Digitizing/Scanning (Margie Rothman) Marcia Tuttle 05 Oct 1998 17:16 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 12:24:39 -0400
From: Margie Rothman <mrothman@mail.valencia.cc.fl.us>
Subject: Digitizing/Scanning (Sandy Schepis)

>We are exploring the possibility of digitizing selections of our microfilm
>collection for electronic reserves and scanning selected paper issues for
>the same purposes.
>
>I would appreciate any information on the following specific topics/issues:
>
>1.  Has anyone located an objective evaluation of digitizing and equipment
>for libraries?  Minolta, Canon, and Digiprint appear to be the front
>runners, but I can't locate specific reviews.

**Be careful in your decision on cd rom/platters.  I have heard that over
5-10 years data and music will disappear from compact discs.  I believe the
shelf life on microfilm is around 100 years.  I am sure it has been a topic
for some magazine articles, although I can't tell you which one.

Margie Rothman
LRC Operations Supervisor, East Campus
Valencia Community College