Question: Overdue notices (3 messages) Marcia Tuttle 06 Oct 1998 20:10 UTC

-----(1)

>From SKWORJ@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU Tue Oct  6 16:07:39 1998
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 08:18:59 -0500
From: SKWORJ@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU
Subject: Re: QUESTION: Overdue notices (Nan Canington)

***I do my claims as the action dates trip, eg, daily, and send them in
weekly.  The action dates are set according to frequency of publication --
weekly things are allowed a grace period of 15 days, monthly 30-35, etc.

***When I was re-thinking how I did claims, and the results I was
receiving, someone advised they stamp first claims as "searched, verified
missing" and physically initial to demonstrate these are bona fide claims.
Seeing that we do, indeed, physically search our shelves rather than take
our computer's word that the issue in question is not here, I ordered such
a stamp, and think it has made a difference in the acceptance of our first
claims to smaller entities.  Our vendor knows us well enough by now :)

***Good luck.

Jeanette Skwor
Cofrin Library
UW-Green Bay

-----(2)

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 09:17:41 -0400
From: "Geraldine H. Wescott" <wescott@LYCO.LYCOMING.EDU>

Nan

I claim once a month with the vendor, too.  I find that if I wait to claim
until the journal is a month overdue, it's about right.  I'm still in the
window of opportunity with the publisher to get the journal if it has been
published and somehow we've not gotten it but it's not too soon to joggle
them if the issue hasn't been published. Then they know to send out a 'not
yet published' notice to the vendor.

Gerre

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * -
*  Gerre Wescott-Periodicals Technician       <wescott@lycoming.edu>    *
-  Lycoming College                           voice - 717-321-4089      -
*  Snowden Library                            fax   - 717-321-4090      *
-  700 College Place                          campus box #141           -
*  Williamsport PA 17701-5192                 "Dux femina facti"        *
- * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * -

-----(3)

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 11:22:46 -0400
From: Barbara Eastland - Library <eastland@HAL.MUHLBERG.EDU>

Hello-
        I run claims every week for serials and send the new claims at
that time. Repeat claims are sent every month (sometimes more frequently
if there is a particular problem with a publisher/distributor).  Hope this
is helpful.

Cordially,
Barb

Barbara B. Eastland                     610-821-3561
Serials Manager                    FAX: 821-821-3511
Trexler Library                         eastland@muhlenberg.edu
Muhlenberg College
2400 Chew St.
Allentown  PA  18104