Re: Killing the kardex (Carol Morse) Marcia Tuttle 06 Oct 1998 23:39 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 15:41:10 -0700
From: Carol Morse <MorsCa@WWC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Killing the kardex

We migrated over a year ago.  We are a medium-sized library with about
1000 subscriptions.  One thing I did, which was suggested by someone in a
large university, was to draw a colored line through the title which had
been entered into the system, and put it back in the Kardex.  Then when
mail was checked in, we could sort Kardex mail out.

I started with records of magazines on reserve, and those that are highly
used (we keep use stats manually), since we do permit periodical check-out
in this library.  That helped the circulation staff.  After that, I pretty
much went in alphabetical order.  I had a student assistant enter
microfiche records, since they are more straight-forward as far as
prediction goes.  Hope this helps.

Carol Morse                                    Phone: 509:527-2684
Serials Librarian                              Fax::  509) 527-2001
Walla Walla College Library            Email:  morsca@wwc.edu
105 S.W. Adams St.
College Place, WA  99324-1195

Grant us strength for the journey and wisdom to know the way.