Setting OCLC holdings for electronic titles (Patricia Thompson) Marcia Tuttle 13 Oct 1998 22:52 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:50:17 -0500
From: Patricia Thompson <pthompso@SEWANEE.EDU>
Subject: Setting OCLC holdings for electronic titles

I am confused about the correct procedure for attaching our holdings
symbols to OCLC records when cataloging electronic serials.  If the
existing OCLC record is for the print version and we only have it in
electronic form, are we obligated to enter a new record for the electronic
version? If we want to use the "multiple versions on one record" approach
should we modify the record for our own use and attach our symbol?  Can we
modify the record in OCLC if we are not a Conser library?  Is the symbol
only used for interlibrary loan?  The ILL people have to check our holdings
anyway before filling a request, because our symbol could be on a record
for which we only have a few issues of a title. Of course, this same
problem has existed with paper vs. microform, because we have used the
print record for this too.

If this is all explained somewhere, just tell me where to go and read it.
Thanks.

Pat Thompson

Patricia R. Thompson
Head of Cataloging