Re: OPAC labels for web/lan resources (Mitch Turitz) Marcia Tuttle 16 Oct 1998 22:52 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:21:47 -0700
From: Mitch Turitz <turitz@SFSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: OPAC labels for web/lan resources

Ruth:
  We use Innovative for our web OPAC.  To answer your questions:

1.) The 856 automatically displays as "Click on the following to:"  in the
web OPAC.  In the telnet (character-based) version we use "Internet:" as a
label display.  We use the $z of the 856 to display "SFSU users connect to:
Philosopical Reviews Online via JSTOR" - we include the words "SFSU users"
to indicate that ONLY SFSU Internet accounts can connect via the hotlink
(due to IP checking).  We do use a location of "Internet" in the bib level
fixed field (or MULTI with Periodicals and Internet) location for the OPACs
browse level display (so that when you see a list of titles in the browse
display, the location is "Internet" or "Peridocials Collection, Internet"
for multiple locations.

2.) We are trying to NOT have location/item records for electronic
resources.  The hotlink alone should be sufficient identification.
Unfortunately, as I posted in an earlier message, if there is no order or
item record attached to a bib record in our system, we get a "simulated
item" record which displays "Internet" as the location, but "Check Shelves"
as the status.  We are still working on this.  If we must have an item
location it will be "Internet."

3.) We are not using in the call number field for electronic resources (not
even in the bib record because the OPAC will index an 050 or 090 as the
call number for call no. browsing purposes).  If something appears in the
item record's call number field, it can be clicked on to browse the call
numbers in the OPAC.  We do not want that in our OPAC because patrons may
be confused if they see a URL in the call number field and try to click on
it to connect, only to be brought into a call number browse (and it will
mess up the call number index as well).  Se decided against notes such as
"see URL above (or below)" in the call number field, as that would not only
be confusing, but would also mess up the call number index.

Additionally:
  For titles where we subscribe to the paper version, but also have access
to the online version: We have an item location for the paper version
"Periodicals" with no call number and "Available" as the status.  The
hotlink (856) and a couple of notes (530 "Also available on-line via
JSTOR." and, 506 "On-line version restriced to SFSU Internet accounts." are
added to the paper record. A title added entry is also made with a
qualifier of "Online" e.g. "American journal of public health (Online)."
Additionally, recently we made the following decisions:

* Holdings statements in bibliographic records for serials which have
hot-links to the full text will be worded:

   "SFSU users connect to ... via Biomedical Collection III"
(NOT "via Ovid") in cases where the link is to a collection which is a
subset of Ovid.

 * The "LIBRARY HAS" (MARC field 966) will be worded:

   "LIBRARY HAS: ONLINE: Connect to online version for holdings."
(No specific holdings detailed)

 * For CD-ROM standalones (NOT the library's CD-ROM network):

   "LIBRARY HAS:  CD-ROM: 1997-1998

When it is going to be obvious to the user, do not put in the information,
but where to connect to get the information (this is because back runs may
change in holdings available, but the information is only a mouse click
away).  Some online resources will lack the current issues (JSTOR) while
others will lack the earliest issues (IDEAL).  We also want consistent
wording for all electronic full text titles

I haven't updated all the ones I've cataloged so far to match the recent
decisions above, but if you'd like to look at our records, you can see them
at:
http://opac.sfsu.edu/screens/opacmenu.html
and search Author IDEAL PROJECT
or WORD search ONLINE
anything in the browse display that has a location of "Internet" should be
as described above.

-- Mitch