Use Studies Query (Kent Mulliner) Marcia Tuttle 16 Oct 1998 22:53 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:29:29 -0400
From: Kent Mulliner <mulliner@OHIOU.EDU>
Subject: Use Studies Query

Colleagues,

For our library allocation formula, we need statistics about usage of
library materials.  We seek your advice on three alternative questions.

1.  Since so many journals are used in-house, it is hard to
get good data on their use.  We're considering predicting the use of
journals in the different disciplines by the number of books checked out
within each of those disciplines.  That ratio, of course, varies a great
deal.  We've found articles that report the ratio for certain subject areas
- especially the sciences, and we've seen very general statements about the
ratio for very broad areas - science/social sciences/humanities.  What we'd
like to find is data that breaks these figures down by disciplines such
as geography, education, history, biology, philosophy, physics, etc.

2.      Any analyses/citation studies that would indicate reliance on
journal vs. book materials by disciplines?

3.      Any studies that would offer similar disciplinary breakdowns for
in-house use (i.e., including inhouse book use as well as journals) vs.
checkouts?

K. Mulliner       Collection Development Coordinator & Asst. to Dean
"Owner"  CORMOSEA & cap-sea Electronic Mailing Lists

Ohio University Libraries       Phone: 740-593-2707
Athens, OH 45701-2978, USA      FAX:    740-593-2708
mulliner@ohiou.edu