Digital Ecology (Gerry McKiernan) Stephen Clark 19 Oct 1998 12:37 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 15:24:20 CDT
From: Gerry McKiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU>
Subject: Digital Ecology

                        _Digital Ecology_

   Among the many themes in the responses to my recent posting
on _E-Journals in the Era of Print Cancellations_ were concerns
about long-term Archival access and unreliable network access
to E-Publications.

   In thinking about these concerns as well as others

                            ******

BTW: These, and other Pro and Con views on E-Journals have been outlined
at the following  Web page:

     http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/CrossRoads.htm

                            ******

it has occurred to me that we need also to consider the nature
and configuration of hardware and systems infrastructure in light of
current organizational and professional attitudes about electronic
publications, the interest (and need?) for local control, and the
inertia of established professional traditions. One of the possible model
to address these interests would be to view the digital environment and
digital resources from an ecological point of view.

     In one possible alternative, one could envision an archival and access
model that mirrors the current print-based systems of local, regional and
national collections. Instead of a local library depending on a publisher
or service bureau to maintain its electronic collection, the local library
could in turn do so. In this model the local library would gradually replace
its print-based stacks with stacks of servers [A CyberStacks(sm) [{:->].
With appropriate and necessary software and staff, it would 'acquire',
'catalog' and provide 'access' to instititutionally purhased materials.
[As many know, many vendors offer local libraries the option of obtaining
all purchased files for local loading should a library decide to cancel
an Internet subscription to the service.]

     Such a local collection could be electronically linked to others
within a state or region (e.g., Big 12 +, CIC, etc.) such that each member
participates more dynamically in true cooperative collective development.
[Here of course there are some very successful state and consortial programs
that could be modified to satisfy local desires].

     On a larger scale, such national repositories as the Center for Research
Libraries (CRL) as well as natioanl libraries (e.g., NAL, NLM, LoC) would
have the responsibilities of 'acquiring' and 'maintaining' and providing
'access' to materials of less local or regional interest.

     Collectively, the local, state, regional, and national collections
would constitute the Digital Universe of E-Journals (and other elctronic
'publications') to serve each level of need. In my mind this model
would satisfy a very strong view of local control and assure local access
[I also believe that such a model would be more acceptable to libraries
and librarians; the _local_ OPAC is an example. We cooperate and
collaborate, but we concurrently maintain _local_ online catalogs
[There are _of course_ exceptions]. Another benefit to this model is that
it could serve as the infrastructure to enbable colleges, universities, and
research institutions to reclaim and retain more direct control over
their _local_ intellectual property.

    As Always, Any and All Comments, Questions, Citations, Critiques,
Queries and/or Contributions would be Most Welcome.

    Joy!

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
and
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/

        "The Best Way to Predict the Future is To Invent It!"
                                Alan Kay