Professional Journals (Lauren Corbett) Stephen Clark 21 Oct 1998 14:45 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:06:57 EST
From: Lauren Corbett <lcorbett@ODU.EDU>
Subject: (Fwd) Professional Journals

Could anyone help me provide an answer to the following question?

From:          "ANNE REES" <TEAL/AREES>
To:            TEAL/LCORBETT
Date:          Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:18:44 EST
Subject:       Professional Journals

Lauren,

Since you are the Serials Librarian, I thought I'd ask you. - I was
asked to define "professional journal" the other day and realized
that I had some doubt about part of it.  Is a "professional journal"
exactly the same as a "scholary journal" or a "refereed journal"?   I
looked in some library science dictionaries and encyclopedias and
wasn't able to find a definition.

For instance, the American Association for the Advancement of
Science from 1979 to 1987 put out two periodicals with the same
title, Science.  The one which ran from 1979 to 1987 was the popular
one, the kind you could buy at a news stand.

The scholarly publication extends into the late 19th century.  Since
Jan. 1901 the official proceedings and most of the papers of the
American Association for the Advancement of Science have been
included in Science.

To me, they both ought to be professional, although only one is
scholarly.

Anne D. Rees
Sci/Tech Reference Librarian

Lauren Corbett