Subscriptions added/cancelled (4 messages) Birdie MacLennan 02 Nov 1998 21:18 UTC

4 messages, 135 lines:

(1)--------------------------
Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 1998 09:10:14 -0500
From:         Jan Lahmeyer <J.Lahmeyer@library.uu.nl>

Lee Cheng Ean <clbleece@NUS.EDU.SG> wrote:
> I am trying to finalise the criteria to use in order to generate accurate
> statistical reports on subscriptions added or cancelled, but had some
> problems with regards to bibliographic changes.  If it is a new title and
> new subscription, then no problem, I would count it as one new
> subscription.
> If a titled ceased publication, then no problem, I can count it as one
> subscription cancelled.
>
> However,
>
> a)  if Title A for which you had been subscribing to now becomes Title B,
> how do you count this?  Do you count iit as one cancellation and one new
> subscription?
> b) what about titles which merged, split etc?
>
> I would love to hear from those who have been involved in the preparation of
> reports in this area.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Ean
>
> Mrs Lee Cheng Ean
> Head, Serials
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Technical Services Division, Central Library,  National University of
> Singapore,
> 89 Kent Ridge Crescent, Singapore 119275
> Email: clbleece@nus.sg  Tel: (65) 8742035   Fax: (65) 7747180

Greetings,
Jan

*   Jan J. Lahmeyer -  EML: seriecat@library.uu.nl
U   Unit Serial Publications  -  Cataloguing Section
*   Dept. Cataloguing & Acquisition  -| Central Library Service
B   UNIVERSITY  LIBRARY  UTRECHT - P.O. Box  16007 - NL - 3500  DA   UTRECHT
*   Voice Phone (+31) 302536573   -  Fax (+31) 302539292
U   When cataloguing serials: someday you'll see every title again, they're like stalkers
*   so beware of the horror of the periodicals: it might snatch you!
*   Visit the website of the WESP: http://www.library.uu.nl/wesp/

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 1998 10:58:13 -0800
From:         Carol Morse <MorsCa@WWC.EDU>

We do not count title changes as either added or dropped, as far as
statistics go.

Carol Morse                                    Phone: 509:527-2684
Serials Librarian                              Fax::  509) 527-2001
Walla Walla College Library            Email:  morsca@wwc.edu
105 S.W. Adams St.
College Place, WA  99324-1195

Grant us strength for the journey and wisdom to know the way.

(3)--------------------------
Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 1998 08:33:52 -0600
From:         Jeanette Skwor <SKWORJ@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU>

> a)  if Title A for which you had been subscribing to now becomes Title B,
> how do you count this?

***I don't.  It's a continuing subscription, albeit with a changed title,
and I haven't cancelled or added anything.

> b) what about titles which merged, split etc?

***I can't think, at the moment, of a title merging--I still wouldn't count
it as a cancellation, I don't think, probably just a dead title, like those
that cease publication.  Assuming the split periodical kept the original
title for one publication, I would add the new, other title and count it as
one added.

> I would love to hear from those who have been involved in the preparation of
> reports in this area.

***I count additions/cancellations quite literally.  Our categories are
cancelled subscriptions and new subscriptions, so that eliminates a lot of
hair-splitting.  Then we also have a subscription count, and that's where
things like dead titles/ceased publications would be shown and a title
count, which would show anything withdrawn.

***Good luck!

Jeanette Skwor
Cofrin Library
UW-Green Bay
SKWORJ@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU

(4)---------------------------
Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 1998 09:52:34 -0500
From:         Marcia Tuttle <tuttle@EMAIL.UNC.EDU>

Jeanette Skwor <SKWORJ@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU> wrote:

>> b) what about titles which merged, split etc?
>
> ***I can't think, at the moment, of a title merging--I still wouldn't
> count it as a cancellation, I don't think, probably just a dead title,
> like those that cease publication.

Jeannette, Sometimes titles really do merge! For example, in 1999 the
American Institute of Physics's _Computers in Physics_ and IEEE Computer
Society's _Computational Science & Engineering_ will merge to form
_Computing in Science and Engineering_ (published by IEEE Computer
Society).

Marcia
marcia_tuttle@unc.edu