Re: Subscriptions added/cancelled (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 03 Nov 1998 18:37 UTC

2 messages, 96 lines:

(1)---------------------------
Date:         Tue, 3 Nov 1998 08:46:34 CST6CDT
From:         Deborah Lee <dlee@LIBRARY.MSSTATE.EDU>

We've found that keeping a "manual" accounting of new titles, title
changes and title cessations the most effecient way to maintain this
data.  We've had problems retrieving reports field information out of
DRA, so I designed a form that we use.  This form records the
database control number, the owning location, source of the title,
whether the title is being added or deleted to the current title
count and why (reasons include title changes, new title, new
"comes with" title, etc...).  Each staff member that has the
authority to change the status of title maintains this form; the
forms are turned into me at the end of the month.  I use this data to
compile a monthly report on the status of our current serial titles.
So at any given time I can produce information concerning the number
of Direct titles, gift titles or Ebsco titles that we have current
subscriptions for.   This also allows me to go through and identify
the number of gift titles that we added during the year---something
we had never been able to produce a count of before.

Hope this helps!

Deborah Lee
Deborah Lee
Coordinator of Serials/Assistant Professor
Mississippi State University
dlee@library.msstate.edu
work: 601-325-8184  fax: 601-325-2895
url: http://www2.msstate.edu/~dol1/index.html

(2)----------------------------
Date:         Tue, 3 Nov 1998 10:40:15 -0600
From:         "L. Hunter Kevil" <mulkevil@SHOWME.MISSOURI.EDU>

My two cents on this problem:

In software there is a big difference between maintaining running counts and
performing a new count whenever a total is needed. Generally the latter is
the better option, because running totals can easily get off and cannot be
corrected. Our mistakes simply cumulate. The better choice might be simply
to calculate the figures you need each time you need them. Perhaps using an
Innovative SCODE to indicate whether a check-in record is for an active,
currently received serial would be enough. When a title becomes no longer
current, either by reason of cancellation, cessation, or cancellation, you
simply change that one code. Then whenever you need to know the number of
currently received serials you would use that field to compute the total.

L. Hunter Kevil
University of Missouri-Columbia
internet: mulkevil@showme.missouri.edu
tel: 573-884-8760