Re: Backfile retention policies (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 12 Nov 1998 15:00 UTC

2 messages, 70 lines:

(1)---------------------------
Date:         Thu, 12 Nov 1998 05:37:54 -0500
From:         Elizabeth Jackson <echristian@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: Backfile retention policies

The Collection Development Committee o ARCHE in Georgia has tried to
organize a policy for discarding the only title that may be held in
among the consortia libraries. I am not sure how this is working now. I
think a library supposed to ask the other libraries before discarding.

A very small library could reasonably discard at the end of 10 years
just about everything if it can be located somewhere in the region. The
old table UMI circulated 40 years ago showing drop off in frequency of
use (then being an argument for purchasing microfilm) is a guide for
discarding.

I predict that the current move to electronic delivery may leave the
very small library such as yours, the option of having very few actual
print subscriptions in very short time.

        Elizabeth Jackson <echristian@WEBTV.NET>

(2)----------------------------
Date:  Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:52:27 -0600
From:  Karen Chobot <chobot@PLAINS.NODAK.EDU>

Yes, please summarize or repond to the list.  We are also a small
collection and have back files which seem unused.  I could use some
ideas...  Karen Chobot

Karen M. Chobot, M.L.S.
Reference Librarian
Mildred Johnson Library
North Dakota State College of Science
800 6th St. N.
Wahpeton ND 58076
701/671-2385

"I know, my dear Watson, that you share my love of all that is bizarre and
outside the conventions and humdrum routine of daily life."  Sherlock
Holmes, in "The Red-Headed League."