Binding title-specific indexes (6 messages) Birdie MacLennan 18 Nov 1998 15:46 UTC

6 messages, 209 lines:

(1)--------------------------
Date:         Wed, 18 Nov 1998 07:45:27 -0600
From:         Merle Kimball <makimb@JANUS.SWEM.WM.EDU>
Subject:      Indexes to Individual Titles

Hi,
  We set up a policy some years ago on indexes and tables of contents
for individual periodical titles..

       Single sheet title page and table of contents are discarded. If
the table of contents can easily be tipped-in the bound volume, we will
do it if we have staffing.

       Multiple page indexes are treated in several ways, mainly
depending upon it's size and when it was received. If possible, the
index is bound with the volume but usually it comes in after the volume
is bound. We do not rebind just to include an index.

       Any index under 12 sheets is usually tipped-in the volume unless
it really distorts the spine.

       Any index over 12 sheets or cannot be tipped-in is pamphlet
bound, or if approximately 100 pages, it is bound by itself.

       Cumulated indexes (e.g. covering multiple volumes) are always
bound by themselves to make the index more accessible to the user.

       We have a few titles which we have added a note on our automated
binding system to NOT to bind until the index is received.

        Hope this helps everyone. If anyone has any other questions or
would like a copy of our guidelines, please contact me directly.

Merle Kimball (Ms.)
Serials Collection Management & Preservation Librarian
Earl Gregg Swem Library
College of William and Mary
Box 8794
Williamsburg, VA  23187-8794

757  221-3103
makimb@mail.swem.wm.edu

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:40:31 +0200
From:         Rachel Ben-Eliezer <rachelb@MOFET.MACAM98.AC.IL>
Subject:      Binding indexes

Dear Lauren

Our college library has a relatively small periodical collection.(about
600 journals).

When I receive an index its usually well after the volume has been bound.
If it's just a few pages and it appears in a database that we have, I
discard it. If it's a large index then we cover it (not bound) in coloured
paper so that it stands out on the shelf. In this way the indexes are
immediately recognised.

I dont know how practical a solution this is for larger libraries, but its
different!

Regards
Rachel Ben-Eliezer
Serials Librarian
David Yellin Teachers College
Jerusalem,ISRAEL
rachelb@dyellin.macam98.ac.il

(3)---------------------------
Date:         Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:54:03 -0500
From:         Cecilia Leathem <cleathem@LIBRARY.MIAMI.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Binding title-specific indexes

Lauren,
If the index arrives long after the logical time for binding the
journal, we will tip in the index in the appropriate volume. and add
"Index" to the spine and to our item record.  If the index is too large
to tip in, then we will bind separately and keep with the journal title.

Cecilia Leathem
Head, Serials Cataloging & Binding
Otto G. Richter Library
University of Miami
1300 Memorial Drive
Coral Gables, FL  33124-0320
Tel:  305 284-4719
Fax: 305 665-7352
<cleathem@LIBRARY.MIAMI.EDU>

(4)----------------------------
Date:         Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:16:07 -0500
From:         Brad Coon <Coon@IPFW.EDU>

As with so much in serials, it depends.  A large and substantial index
covering a number of years is generally retained in our collection and
often bound as a seperate piece.  An annual index that comes with the last
piece will be bound in if it matches the rest of the title in numbering,
format, etc.  If it comes late and the title is already indexed somewhere
else, the index is discarded.

Brad Coon
Serials Office Manager/Library Systems Administrator
Helmke Library
Indiana-Purdue University Fort Wayne
<Coon@IPFW.EDU>

(5)----------------------------
Date:         Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:44:57 -0600
From:         Nancy Hasenwinkel <Nancy.Hasenwinkel@UNI.EDU>
Subject:      Lauren Corbett's question re: binding indexes

Here at the University of Northern Iowa, we try to bind the index along
with the appropriate periodicals.  If there is a delay of several months
before the index is received, we collect the issues and keep them in the
Reserve area of the library until the index arrives.  If a multi-year
cumulative index is received, we bind it separately.

Nancy Hasenwinkel
Library Associate
Rod Library
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, Iowa
<Nancy.Hasenwinkel@UNI.EDU>

(6)----------------------------
Date:         Wed, 18 Nov 1998 10:15:03 -0500
From:         "Lilah J. Mittelstaedt" <lilahmit@PHILAMUSEUM.ORG>

Dear Lauren:

Here at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, common practice does not require
us to retain separate indices of journals that are indexed in a
bibliographic source such as Art Index or Bibliography of the History of
Art (BHA).  Of those not indexed, we make the extra effort to keep the
index even if it arrives after items were sent to the bindery.  Due to
size, we evaluate whether it is better to tip in or put in a velcro
envelope.  Thicker cumulative indices of journals already indexed
elsewhere are also kept primarily due to the uniqueness of the title as is
the case with Fine Woodworking and Furniture History.

--
Lilah J. Mittelstaedt
Reference Librarian

E-mail:  lilahmit@philamuseum.org