Re: CD-ROM and Print Versions of the Same Journal (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 01 Dec 1998 17:27 UTC

2 messages, 116 lines:

(1)-------------------------
Date:         Tue, 1 Dec 1998 11:15:39 +0500
From:         Frieda Rosenberg <friedat@EMAIL.UNC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: CD-ROM and Print Versions of the Same Journal
Comments: To: Lesley Tweddle <Ltweddle@AUCEGYPT.EDU>

Lesley Tweddle wrote:
> If you are paying for a print subscription to a journal, and a CD
> version gets thrown in free, what do you do with the CDs?  Not how do
> you catalog them, but
>
> 1. Do you make them available?
***Yes, but only in a pocket either in
an existing volume or in a pouch within a library-created
portfolio--unless they are judged suitable for a reference collection
> 2. Do you retain the CD backfiles?
***Yes
> 3. Do you keep them on open shelves?
***Yes
> 4. Do you circulate them? (If so, do you also circulate print journals?)
***Where the print volume circulates--usually to faculty on request or as
needed for limited (overnight, three days) time periods--yes
 > 5. Do you confine their use to the Library?
***Otherwise, yes
> 6. Or (since you didn't ask for them in the first place) do you just
> dustbin them?
***No

> And what was the main consideration underlying your decisions?

We used to house all such discs in the Reference Department (or in a
departmental reference collection) until they collectively
decided that that kind of straight journal material was better off
shelved with its print counterpart.

In addition to the above, we include a note in the item record (this
often involves creating items specially for those journals not normally
receiving items) alerting to the presence of a disk.  The catalog software
we use (DRA) sounds a beep on check-out or check-in and brings the note to
the screen. Where that is not available, I would definitely put a sticker
plus a pencilled warning elsewhere in the volume (which we also do).

Frieda Rosenberg
Serials Cataloging
UNC--Chapel Hill

(2)--------------------------
Date:         Tue, 1 Dec 1998 11:37:52 -0500
From:         Biserka Mrzljak <bmrzljak@LIB.UWO.CA>

We have also encountered this situation here at the University of Western
Ontario Library System (UWOLS), predominantly with yearly subscriptions to
Elsevier Scientific journals. The main principal regarding retention of
such CDs is a conslutation with a Collection Librarian responsible for a
subject area. At this point we did not catlogue them separately, however
we hfave only attached them as item records with CD-ROM identifier. Due to
uncertainty in the future shipments, we have only acknowledged them as
receipts, but at present have not provided a separate Checkin records for
them. My other answers are attached to your questions.

At UWOLS:
> 1. Do you make them available?  ----  Yes
> 2. Do you retain the CD backfiles? ----  Depends on CD coverage
> 3. Do you keep them on open shelves?  ---- Yes, but it might vary with
branch libraries
> 4. Do you circulate them? (If so, do you also circulate print journals?)
 ---- Yes; some branch libraries do, but predominantly print journals are
not circulated

dustbin them? ---- Not necessarily

> And what was the main consideration underlying your decisions? ---- Your
receive them, you might make them available, but system support is
limited, i.e., Library would not necessarily provide a software for their
use.

Biserka Mrzljak
Cataloguing Librarian
Liaison for Serials