Re: Blind links in 78x entries Mary Grenci 02 Dec 1998 19:34 UTC

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Patricia Thompson wrote:

> In our catalog, we have some serial bib records with 78x linking entries to
> previous or later titles which we do not own.

This is one of the many "joys" of serials records that patrons and
Reference staff love. But, I don't think there's much to be done about it
unless you have a large cataloging staff and a catalog that you have
locally decided to "custom-build", in this and other ways.

Most libraries don't have this, so what it ends up boiling down to is the
much-maligned "user education". Reference staff need to understand (and
pass on either in Reference interviews or BI sessions) how to interpret
serials records and what various information means. In the case of 78x
linking entries, it just means that these other titles were published and
are related however the record says they are. It does not mean that the
library owns the title. It's not just earlier/later titles either, or
even just 78x fields. The same goes for alternate formats and added
entries that relate to the serial but possibly not to a part of it that
you own.

I'll stop now, since I'm in danger of running off on one of my favorite
"pet peeve" subjects. And obviously, this is just my opinion.

Mary

Mary Grenci
Serials Catalog Librarian
Knight Library