Re: Automated usage studies? -Reply Pamela Zimmerman 18 Dec 1998 19:05 UTC

Through our Integrated Library System, we have barcoded each volume of the
journals and each issue as they arrived and made individual item records
for each volume (even though they do not circulate).  Our library aides
scan each journal before shelving it with a portable hand held barcode
reader.  Periodically (weekly?), the cataloger up loads the data into our
library system.  From this system we can generate reports or if we had to,
we could email to our email and transfer it to another spreadsheet
program.
 It is much more effective than the old system of using colored dots on
each volume and counting them once a year.

Pamela Zimmerman
zimmerma@mail.ncifcrf.gov
NCI-FCRDC
Scientific Library