Call for Midwinter Reporters (Carol Diedrichs) Stephen Clark 05 Jan 1999 17:04 UTC

Moderator's Note:  Please send your responses directly to Carol Diedrichs,
not to this list.  Thanks.  Stephen Clark

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 18:30:02 -0500
From: Carol Diedrichs <diedrichs.1@OSU.EDU>
Subject: Call for Midwinter Reporters

_Library Collections, Acquisitions and Technical Services_ _(LCATS)_
_(Formerly Library Acquisitions: Practice & Theory)_ has always made an
effort to cover many of the programs and discussion groups at the ALA
conferences related to our scope.  With our expanded coverage to include all
areas of technical services, I am looking for reporters in newer areas as
well.  A number of meetings for which I would like to provide a report are
still available and I am soliciting your help and interest in covering any
of these programs and discussion groups.

Reports are published much like the Review Section in _LCATS_.  The reports
are published in a single combined article with each report having a
separate byline.  Each author receives reprints and proofs of their section
for review.  Reports are generally 2-6 double-spaced pages depending on the
content of the meeting covered.  In some cases, lengthy programs might
warrant longer reports.

If you are interested in covering any of the programs and discussion groups
which follow, please respond via e-mail (diedrichs.1@osu.edu) as soon as
possible.  Your finished report would be due to me by 3-1-99.  Two printed
copies are needed plus a copy on disk in ASCII format or preferably
WordPerfect 6.1 for Windows.  Sample reports appear in recent issues of the
journal.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Discussion Groups

1.      LITA/ALCTS Interest Group on Serials Automation
        Sunday, 1/31, 9:30-11:00 (please verify time and place)

2.      ALCTS CCS Catalog Management Discussion Group
        Saturday, 1/31, 2:00-4:00
        Topic: Optimizing End-User Access to Aggregations of Full-Text E-Journals

3.      ALCTS AS Acquisitions Librarians/Vendors of Library Materials & Acq
Administrators Discussion Group
        Sunday, 1/31, 8:30-12:30; reporter needs to cover both sessions (please
verify time and place)

4.      ALCTS CCS Cataloging Norms Discussion Group
        Saturday, 1/30, 9:30-11:00
        Topic: Staying Abreast of Cataloging Standards

5.      ALCTS Pre-order and Pre-catalog Searching Discussion Group
        Monday, 2/1, 9:30-11:00
        Topic: How Organizations are Changing in Responses to Changing Needs

6.      ALCTS CCS Heads of Cataloging Depts. Discussion Group
        Monday, 2/1, 9:30-11:00
        Topic: Heading a Cataloging Dept. in Times of Change

7.      ALCTS CCS Research Discussion Group
        Saturday, 1/30, 11:30-12:30 (please verify time and place)

8.      ALCTS CMDS Collection Development Librarians of Academic Libraries
Discussion Group
        Saturday, 1/30, 2-4 (please verify time and place)

9.      ALCTS SS Research Libraries Discussion Group
        Saturday, 1/30, 9:30-11:00
        Topic: The Changing Role of Serials Acquisitions Librarians in the
Electronic Environment

10.     ALCTS SS Journal Costs in Libraries Discussion Group
        Saturday, 1/30, 2-4
        Topic: Electronic Journal Pricing: What's the Big Deal?

11.     ALCTS Creative Ideas in Technical Services
        Sunday, 1/31, 4:30 - 5:30
        Topic: Cross-training, Cross-staffing, What Works?

12.     ALCTS AS Gifts & Exchange Discussion Group
        Sunday, 1/31, 8:00 - 10:00
        Topic: Booksales vs. OP Dealers

13.     ALCTS OP Discussion Group
        Sunday, 1/31, 2-4
        Topic: Digital, On-Demand Reprint Services

14.     ALCTS Role of the Professional in Academic Technical Services Disc. Group
        Sunday, 1/31, 2:00-4:00
        Topic: Are Library Schools Adequately Fulfilling the Needs of Libraries in
Educating TS Professionals

15.     ALCTS CCS Copy Cataloging Discussion Group
        Sunday, 1/31, 2-4 (please verify time and place)

16.     ALCTS AS In-Process Control Systems Discussion Group
        Monday, 2/1, 9:30-11:00 (please verify time and place)

17.     ALCTS Heads of Technical Services of Medium-Sized Academic Libraries
Discussion Group.
        Saturday, 1/30, 9:30 - 12:30 (please verify time and place)

18.     ALCTS Scholarly Communications Discussion Group
        Sunday, 1/31, 9:30-11:00 (please verify time and place)
Carol Pitts Diedrichs
Assistant Director for Technical Services and
      Liaison to the Regional Campus Libraries
Editor, Library Collections, Acquisitions
        and Technical Services
The Ohio State University Libraries
1858 Neil Avenue Mall
Columbus, OH, 43210-1286