Re: Request for info on ejournals (2 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 22 Jan 1999 21:29 UTC

2 messages:

1)_____

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:11:10 -0500
From: Cecilia Leathem <cleathem@LIBRARY.MIAMI.EDU>
Subject: Re: Request for info on ejournals (Anita Brown)

Anita,
 The bottom line at my institution is, if we have a subscription to the
title, no matter the format, we will catalog it.  So, yes, we will
provide full cataloging for electronic journals and journals on CD-Rom.
As far as holdings are concerned, we provide the fullest information
possible.  For most e-journals, we add a statement such as:  LIB HAS:
v.1 (1998)- .  We will also add a note stating the length of retention
if only the current issue/year/2years, etc. are maintained online by the
producer, which is often the case with newspaper titles.

I hope this is helpful.

Cecilia Leathem
Head, Serials Cataloging & Binding
Otto G. Richter Library
University of Miami
1300 Memorial Drive
Coral Gables, FL  33124-0320
Tel:  305 284-4719
Fax: 305 665-7352

2)_____

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:48:11 -0600
From: Marion Prudlo <mprudlo@oru.edu>
Subject: Cataloging e-journals

Anita,
we catalog journals that are available in full text in online databases
like Proquest. We use only very short records with hardly any
information in them. The reason we are doing this is that many journals
that are only indexed in one database are availabel in full text in
another database. The only way to find out which ones are available in
full text in which database is through the OPAC. Everybody here feels
that this was a major improvement to our service.

Marion

Electronic resources librarian
Oral Roberts University Library