Re: Current periodicals display alternatives (Elyse Hayes) Stephen Clark 07 Jan 1999 14:23 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:16:42 -0500
From: Elyse Hayes <emihayes@LI.NET>
Subject: Re: Current periodicals display alternatives (Jennifer Sweeney)

Hello Jennifer:

I worked for about a year and a half in a public library that uses the type
of setup you describe for periodicals.  We had no mechanical problems.  It
looks nice and neat, except when patrons left the display shelf in the "up"
position, and then walked away - that looked terrible, and prevented the
next person who came along from seeing the covers of the magazines on that
shelf.  (There was one patron who consistently came in and left three or
four shelves open like this.  That patron's inconsiderate attitude  was the
pet peeve of the Head of Reference.)  A more common problem with this type
of display was that patrons did not realize WHERE the recent back issues
were.  It was not self-evident.  I don't know how many times I had to come
around from behind the Reference Desk and demonstrate to them how they
could lift the shelf up to reveal the back issues.

Elyse Hayes
now at: South Huntington (NY) Public Library