Revised: Do you know a library that has merged Documents with Technical Services (Larry Romans) Stephen Clark 15 Jan 1999 18:48 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:38:51 +0600
From: Larry Romans <Romans@LIBRARY.VANDERBILT.EDU>
Subject: Revised: Do you know a library that has merged Documents with
Technical Services

I apologize. Due to sloppy cutting and pasting, it appeared that I
was interested only in hearing from librarians who had a positive
experience merging with Documents. I'm also interested in hearing
from librarians with a negative experience.

Thanks for any information you can provide to me. Please send your

Larry Romans

> Do you know cataloger or other technical services librarian or an
> administrator at a library that has merged a previously separate
> government documents department with technical services?
>
> Do you know cataloger or other technical services librarian or an
> administrator at a library that has created a separate government
> documents department whose functions previously had been part of
> technical services?
>
> The Government Documents Round Table (GODORT) Program Committee is
> seeking panelists for its 1999 program at ALA Conference. We want to
> have as a panelist an administrator, a technical services librarian, a
> reference librarian, and a documents librarian for whom merging
> government documents departments with other departments in the library
> has been a positive experience. We also want to have as a panelist
> another librarian in each category for whom merging the departments
> has been a positive experience.
>
> Details about the program are below:
>
> Name of group: Government Documents Round Table
>
> Program Day: Monday
> Program Date: June 28, 1999
> Program Time: 9:30 a.m. - 12 noon
> Program title: "To Merge or Not to Merge--What Are the Questions?:
> Integrating Documents Units into Reference or Technical Services."
>
> Program description: A moderated panel discussion of the pros and cons
> of integrating government documents functions into reference and
> technical services departments and of what factors and strategies can
> help if the transition is necessary. Includes speakers from
> administration, government documents, reference, and technical
> services. Topics include training, acquisitions and serial cataloging,
> staffing levels, automation issues, levels of reference service,
> coordination of documents collection development with the rest of the
> collection, and user perspectives.
>
> Thanks for any information you can provide to me. Please send your

Larry Romans,
Political Science Bibliographer and
Head, Government Information Services,
Central Library, Vanderbilt University,
419 - 21st Ave. South
Nashville TN 37240-0007
phone (615) 322-2838; FAX (615) 343-7451
E-mail (office): ROMANS@LIBRARY.VANDERBILT.EDU
E-mail (home): romans@ibm.net