Diskettes accompanying books and journal issues (Hunter Kevil) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 19 Jan 1999 19:17 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:55:23 -0600
From: "Kevil, L H." <KevilL@MISSOURI.EDU>
Subject: Diskettes accompanying books and journal issues

Hello all,

Diskettes that come with books and journal issues create problems that in
turn raise a number of interesting issues. I wonder if those of you
experienced in coping with the problems would be willing to share your
thoughts with the list. It seems to me personally that copying, labelling,
and storing these diskettes represents a lot of trouble to process material
that is hardly ever used. Below are some of the issues a few of us have
identified. Your comments, heterodox or orthodox, will be greatly
appreciated.

Should we copy all diskettes received to spare diskettes _just in case_  a
replacement is ever needed in future?

If we copy, should we store the copies inside the books or in a separate
location?

Should we copy not to diskettes but to disk on a server accessible to
library staff only? (This would permit solutions such as creating
_just-in-time_ diskette copies at the point of circulation as needed.)

Should we give up on copying altogether and rely on publishers and
interlibrary loan when a diskette disappears or becomes unusable?

Should we just pitch our 5.25" floppies, or should we transfer their
contents to 3.5" diskettes?

TIA,

Hunter

L. Hunter Kevil,