Re: PERIODICALS VOLUME STATISTICS WHEN YOU DON'T BIND! (Lesley Tweddle) Marcia Tuttle 23 Feb 1999 15:56 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:37:43 -0800
From: Lesley Tweddle <Ltweddle@AUCEGYPT.EDU>
Subject: Re: PERIODICALS VOLUME STATISTICS WHEN YOU DON'T BIND! (Regina              McEneaney)

Thanks Regina for your reply - it does have the advantage of simplicity,
and would give the most sensible answer to some questions.  For example,
to say "We have 20 volumes of the New Yorker" meaning 20 years, gives a
much more accurate picture of your collection than to say "We have 120
volumes of the New Yorker" (still meaning 20 years, because every two
months are bound together).

On the other hand, if you have an architect demanding to know how many
volumes there are in your stock so he can plan an extension to your
building, then 120 volumes - meaning pieces - will be a more useful
answer than 20 volumes - meaning 120 pieces.  And that's the question
the architect will ask.  You can offer to measure the actual linear
feet, or count the actual shelves, or standard shelving units, but the
architect will spurn all these and demand to know the number of volumes!
Grrr.

Pardon my rambling, and thank you for your trouble.

Best wishes
Lesley Tweddle
American Univ in Cairo