More replies re MMWR (Natalie Gorvine) Marcia Tuttle 23 Feb 1999 21:27 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:18:27 -0500
From: Natalie Gorvine <GORVINE@EMAIL.CHOP.EDU>
Subject: More replies re MMWR

Dear Serialsters:

I've said it before & I'll say it again:  this is a great list!  In
addition to the replies that were posted to the list, I received several
others directly to me; they're copied below for anyone else who may be
interested.  I think my questions have been more than amply answered.

This is in no way meant to be facetious, but one respondent (Elizabeth
Jackson, I think?) asked if I had called the CDC.  Why would I do that and
risk being put on hold, bounced from one voice mail number to another,
etc.  - and perhaps receive incomplete info. in the end - from someone I
don't even know?

By contrast, when I post a query to SERIALST, I am just about guaranteed
to receive prompt, thoughtful, and full answers, often from people who by
now feel like real friends, albeit "virtual" ones.  Take John Lucas, for
example; his first answer was fine, but then he sent another to clarify
and elucidate further, apologizing for his earlier "cryptic" response.  My
guess is that it would be most unusual for an employee of a large
government agency to follow up with such consideration and thoroughness.

So, again, many thanks to all of you!

Now for the other replies, as promised above:
------------------
1) I can't check the other two issues, but v.47 #38 doesn't have anything
on pp.815-816.  I checked the website version and there were no
articles,etc for those pages.

Here is the v.47 (1998) index site (browseable):

http://www.cdc.gov/epo/mmwr/preview/index98.html

Hope this helps

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Sue Kelleher               F(501)575-2053     T(501)575-3682
UofA Law Library         http://comp.uark.edu/~kelleher
Fayetteville, AR 72701                kelleher@comp.uark.edu

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
2) Natalie, I was interested in your message regrading MMWR. These pages
are also blank in our copies. We replace our print copies with
mircofilm (haven't rec'd yet). Please let me know if you find out
anymore information regarding these pages.
For vol. 47, 1998 we received SS 1-5 and RR 1-20. Please let me know
if you want me to check prior vols. (let me know the vols. and I will
check on our microfilm reels).
David
DAVID J. WEEKS
PERIODICALS DEPT., ROBERTSON LIBRARY, U.P.E.I.
CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I.  CANADA     C1A  4P3
Voice:  (902)-566-0556;  Fax: (902)-628-4305; E-Mail: Weeks@upei.ca

3) I looked at my copies of MMWR v. 47 no. 36-38. They have the same
blank pages. My guess (and its only MY guess) is they were deliberately
left blank as the preceding articles seem to have concluded. This also
allows "Figure 1" to start on the right hand page as in the other issues
I looked at.   Adding two blank pages to 38 allows the end-of-the-issue
stuff to be at the end of the issue.

My last issue for SS is 5 and for RR is 20. We have received numbers
1-52 and 54.   53 has not yet come.

Melissa

Melissa M. Nasea
Collection Development/Serials Librarian
East Carolina University
Health Sciences Library
600 Moye Blvd.
Greenville, NC 27858-4354
252-816-2235; fax 252-816-3369
mailto: melnas@hsl.hsl.ecu.edu OR naseam@mail.brody.ecu.edu

4)Our copies of MMWR also have blank pages.  I have downloaded those pages
from the web and they are also blank, so I think they were printed that
way!

Also, according to the web there are no issues beyond SS-5 and RR-20 for
V.47.

Sincerely,
Kathryn

KATHRYN GILBERT
SERIALS TECHNICIAN
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA
COLUMBIA SC 29208

kathryn@med.sc.edu
803-733-3315

5)  I have checked with my copies on the shelf, and it looks to me as if
the pages in question were purposefully left blank;  the end of an article
on one page, a blank page and then some tables.  I think that if you look
them up for free on the web, you will find no blanks. We don't fret too
much about it because we receive the microfiche rather promptly and assume
they will be absolutely accurate.  So far, our faith has been rewarded.
They find things our folks don't.

As for SS and RR, your last issues are the same as ours.

We have our subscription through Ebsco, simpler than dealing with the GPO.
And we have found no reason to claim since then.

I also have complaints about the lack of an annual index.  It would make
life so much easier for our students.  At this time, the only index
accesses are through Periodical abstracts and CHINAL and such outside
providers, nothing specific.

Please let me know if any of the answers you receive contradict my
conclusions.  Saretta

Saretta K. Burke
Owens Community College Library
P O Box 10,000
Toledo, OH  43699-1947
voice: 419-661-7221
fax: 419-661-7021
e-mail: sburke@owens.cc.oh.us

6)  We went into the web and searched the contents articles with listed
page numbers.

Apparently CDC intentionally left those pages blank as they list no
article or part of article to appear on those pages.

Re: SS and RR issues, there are only 5 SS's and 20 RR's so you are OK.

[From "Van Scoy, Bev" <VanScoyB@umkc.edu>]
'See what I mean?  - Natalie

NATALIE  L  GORVINE      LIBRARY ASSISTANT
THE CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL OF PHILADELPHIA
MEDICAL LIBRARY   ROOM 9546
34TH STREET AND CIVIC CENTER BOULEVARD
PHILADLEPHIA      PA     19104-4399