Rhine Cruise 2000 (Karen Muller) Stephen Clark 22 Mar 1999 19:01 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:20:26 -0600
From: Karen Muller <kmuller@ALA.ORG>
Subject: Rhine Cruise 2000

**** PLEASE RESPOND TO kmuller@ala.org NOT THE LIST****

As some of you may have noted, the ALCTS Board of Directors took the
following action at the Midwinter Meeting:  To 1) authorize the ALCTS
executive director to
confirm the hold on a Rhine Cruise Ship and to proceed with more
detailed planning, and 2) Appoint a planning task force to advise on
the shipboard continuing education program.

Planning has proceeded sufficiently so that we now know that the
cruise will depart (by bus) from Zurich to Basel, where we will board
the boat on October 12, 2000.  The boat then goes to Strasbourg,
Worms, Rudesheim, and Mainz.  There is a whole day in Mainz to visit
the Gutenberg Museum, and generally partake of the festivities
surrounding the 600th anniversary of Guetnberg's birth.  Then, we go
to Frankfurt, where the boat will dock for three of the days of the
Frankfurt Book Fair.

Before the Board proceeds, we would like a preliminary indication of
interest in such a trip.  The cost would be about $3,000-3,500, plus
airfare to Zurich and from Frankfurt and other personal expenses, such
as meals on shore, tips, etc., per person double occupancy.

Please le me know if you would be highly likely to sign up for such
an event.  Send your response to me at kmuller@ala.org.  This is not a
commitment, but just a statement of serious intent to consider.

Thanks for your help--the ALCTS Board wants to embark (pun intended!)
on new activities, yet be good stewards of our budget.

-- Karen Muller
   Executive Director, LAMA/ALCTS
   50 E. Huron Street
   Chicago, IL 60611 USA