Re: Innovative binding module (2 messages) Stephen Clark 26 Mar 1999 16:52 UTC

2 messages:

1)-----------------
Date:         Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:44:07 -0500
From:         Barbara Eastland - Library <eastland@HAL.MUHLBERG.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Innovative binding module (Stephanie Gehring)

Hi-

        I have been using III binding module for several years.
 Pros:
it makes available to the patron at the touch of a key exactly where the
issues he's looking for are located (e.g., at the bindery, bindery
preparation) and the date the issues were pulled for or sent to the
bindery. Public services people LOVE having this information at their
fingertips!  The module also can supply you with statistics about how many
volumes/issue were pulled, sent, etc.  For me in tech services, the
absolutely neatest thing about the module is that it supplies my student
assistant a sheet of paper listing every title and issue (with volume,
number and date and any other information I've put into the check-in card
about the issue - like there's a supplement....) that is to be pulled!
It is exceedingly difficult for the student not to pull the correct
issues, AND it also gives me a paper listing of the issues that AREN'T
on the shelves.  This helps me to keep my want list up to date.

 Cons:
it is *very* labor-intensive to keep that part of the database up to date
(e.g., you enter data when an item is pulled, then again when it is sent,
then again when it returns.)

 It is a wonderful system/module and I recommend it highly.

Hope this is helpful.
Barb

Barbara B. Eastland                     610-821-3561
Serials Manager                    FAX: 821-821-3511
Trexler Library                         eastland@muhlenberg.edu
Muhlenberg College
2400 Chew St.
Allentown  PA  18104

2)-------------------------
Date:         Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:55:42 -0500
From:         Stephanie Gehring <stepgeh@REGENT.EDU>
Subject:      Innovative binding module

I've had several responses to my original question and all have been very
helpful.  I am currently implementing all the steps that have been
suggested -- i.e. updating ARRIVED to TO BIND, recording binding material
and print color, etc.  I was really curious it see if the binding module can
be "programmed" to alert you to bind a title when a specified issue arrives.

Stephanie S. Gehring
Law Serials Assistant
Regent University Law Library (VC@)
Virginia Beach, VA