Re: Journals Holdings Lists (3 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 12 Mar 1999 19:58 UTC

3 messages:

1)____

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:02:51 -0500
From: Melissa Sorgi <mwsorgi@ADM.HACC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Journals Holdings Lists (Sherri Parker)

Here at HACC we do still generate a paper holdings list for all three =
(soon to be four) campuses - contained in one folder.  We send these out =
to local public libraries also.  Included are our holdings, both paper and =
microfilm with dates.  Hope that helps.

From: Sherri Parker <sparker@DEPAUW.EDU>
Subject: Journals Holdings Lists

We are trying to find out how many universities still create a paper
journals holdings list, and if you do, what it includes.

We have entered our holdings in our online catalog.  The online searching
for serials isn't perfect (we have DRA), but it could be worse.  Now we
are debating whether or not to keep our paper journals holdings list.  If
we do keep it, we have to convert softwares, which is another reason it is
"on the table".

I am suppose to gather my responses for a meeting next Thursday, 3/19/99.

Thanks!

Sherri Parker
DePauw University
sparker@depauw.edu

2)____

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:41:36 -0800
From: Marcella Lesher <acadmarc@STMARYTX.EDU>

We still keep a paper list and find them very handy to have next to
our terminals for students to consult when they are using the
periodicals indexes.  They can quickly check to see if we have the
title.  The information that we include includes title, holdings,
and any special location information such as leisure reading, etc.

I personally have found the paper list to be useful when  our EBSCO
Psyclit database expanded its coverage and I needed to go back and
add titles to the local holdings field.  (Unfortunately, the local
holdings function is not working--but that is another story--as well as
another reason to keep the paper list.)

Marcella Lesher
Academic Library
St. Mary's University
San Antonio

3)_____

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:12:00 -0600
From: Janet Essency <essency@WARP6.CS.MISU.NODAK.EDU>

Sherry,
    I have done journals holdings lists for both my current position and
previous ones. Neither system
supported creating a list from the online catalog. Therefore, the lists
are kept in a separate database.
Upkeep tends to time consuming. On the flip side of that is the fact
patrons find them useful. I have always thought we could wean patrons
from them. But neither my current director nor my previous one was
willing to try it. Best of luck.
Janet Essency
Periodicals Librarian
Minot State University