Re: Journals Holdings Lists (Karen Chobot) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 15 Mar 1999 20:16 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:37:03 -0600
From: Karen Chobot <chobot@PLAINS.NODAK.EDU>
Subject: Re: Journals Holdings Lists (Sherri Parker)

We still create a paper journals list for the benefit of students working
away from the computers, and for staff to take with them into the shelves
when weeding, inventorying, etc.

I include: title, holdings, format, and have a note field which might help
locate the item or lead a student to a related title.

We use PALS for our online system, which has a report writer feature, so
the information comes directly from the serial record we use for check-in.
Yes, everything is on the computer but many times students prefer to be
able to look quickly in the paper and do not always understand what they
see on the computer screen in terms of holdings or related titles.  I find
that this helps pull it all together for them.

I realize we have far fewer titles that you do, and the printout still runs
to about 100 printed greenbar sheets since every field seems to have to be
on its own line.  So perhaps this isn't too practical.  But I would
recommend seeing what sort of printout DRA will give you from the serials
module and working with that.  It should save the time of rekeying
everything and give the patrons a useful item for quick answers.  You can
always go to the OPAC for the harder stuff.

Hope this helps, Karen.

At 09:59 AM 3/12/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:39:33 -0500
>From: Sherri Parker <sparker@DEPAUW.EDU>
>Subject: Journals Holdings Lists
>
>We are trying to find out how many universities still create a paper
>journals holdings list, and if you do, what it includes.
>
>We have entered our holdings in our online catalog.  The online searching
>for serials isn't perfect (we have DRA), but it could be worse.  Now we
>are debating whether or not to keep our paper journals holdings list.  If
>we do keep it, we have to convert softwares, which is another reason it is
>"on the table".
>
>I am suppose to gather my responses for a meeting next Thursday, 3/19/99.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Sherri Parker
>DePauw University
>sparker@depauw.edu

Karen M. Chobot, M.L.S.
Reference Librarian
Mildred Johnson Library
North Dakota State College of Science
800 6th St. N.
Wahpeton ND 58076
701/671-2385

"I know, my dear Watson, that you share my love of all that is bizarre and
outside the conventions and humdrum routine of daily life."  Sherlock
Holmes, in "The Red-Headed League."