Re: International Phone Books (Dani Lichtenberg) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 18 Mar 1999 17:29 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:03:47 -0500
From: Dani Lichtenberg <p005386b@PB.SEFLIN.ORG>
Subject: Re: International Phone Books (Fiona Tipple)

> Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:28:48 +0000
> From: Fiona Tipple <Fiona.Tipple@UCD.IE>
> Subject: Re: International Phone Books (Dani Lichtenberg)
>
> Both the Irish (Republic, that is) and British telephone directories are
> available on CD-ROM; if you're interested I can forward you publisher
> details.
> >
> > Is anyone aware of any literature regarding collections of this type?
> > Any standards to follow, or surveys of libraries with international phone
> > book collections?  I know that the Internet now provides access to
> > international phone books, so our collection does not have to be
> > exhaustive.  Mostly, this collection would be a convenience for staff and
> > patrons and would hopefully cover the most "popular" locations.

Thanks for your reply, Fiona.  But right now, I'm just focusing on our
collection of hard copy phone books.  I have a budget of about $2000 and
I'm trying to decide what locations make the most sense for ordering.
Right now, my list looks like it will have to cover South/Central America
and nearby islands, leaving little room for locations overseas.  I was
wondering what kind of criteria others use to make these decisions?

Dani Lichtenberg
Serials Supervisor
Palm Beach County Library System
p005386b@pb.seflin.org