Re: 776 Field Indicator Question (2 messages) Stephen Clark 08 Apr 1999 15:52 UTC

2 messages:

1)---------------------------
Date:         Thu, 8 Apr 1999 08:46:43 -0400
From:         Nancy Burns <nburns@PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 776 Field Indicator Question (Trudy Beal)

> We have a question about the first indicator for the 776 field.
> (Additional Physical Form Entry)  According to the CONSER Editing
> Guide "The first indicator determines the note display.  In most
> cases, a note is not generated and the first indicator is set to
> value "1"  Why wouldn't you generate a note?

  Because usually the note is given instead in a 580 field, which allows
you to give more precise information.  The note generated by coding the
776 with first indicator "0" would read simply:
  "Issued in other form: [Title]"
whereas in a 580 you can specify:
  "Also available in an online version, with title: [Title]"
or whatever is appropriate in the given situation.

                                      --Nancy Burns
                                        Princeton University Library
                                        (speaking for myself alone)

2)-------------------------
Date:         Thu, 8 Apr 1999 08:22:09 -0700
From:         Mary Grenci <mgrenci@DARKWING.UOREGON.EDU>

> Why wouldn't you generate a note?  Is this just something left
> over from the world of paper catalogs?  OCLC records tend to reflect
> this practice...

We get complaints from public services folks when they see a note saying
something is "available" in another format but _we don't own_ the other
format. It's better for them if we only display such a note when we own
the format that is being referred to.

Mary

Mary Grenci
Serials Catalog Librarian