Re: time frame for current periodicals on the shelf (Helen Aiello) Stephen Clark 23 Jun 1999 15:31 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 09:59:12 -0400
From: Helen Aiello <haiello@MAIL.WESLEYAN.EDU>
Subject: Re: time frame for current periodicals on the shelf (Jennifer van              Sickle)

A plan that was in place at one institution in which I worked was to have a
specific time period for keeping 'current bounds' versus what would go onto
a 'storage collection'.  It could be a current 10 or 15 year policy:
whatever fits your space needs collection.  This helps in two ways: it more
or less allows a constant space for the current materials (providing you
don't get a windfall for periodical acquisitions) and it allows library
staff/users to know that if it is X years old, it will be either in
'current' or in storage.
One drawback is that it means removing the 'storage year' every year to
stay within the X years guideline.  Another is the fact that your storage
area is not open to the public (one advantage that I had in working with
this plan was that the 'storage' collection was open to the public)
implying that users will be thwarted in retrieving materials when staff are
unavailable.  Perhaps in  creating a policy, keeping the storage area open
to the public might be a consideration.

Of course, as electronic collections versus paper collections of
periodicals become more prevalent, this issue may be moot in the not too
distant future....Good luck.

At 10:43 AM 6/22/99 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]

Helen M. Aiello, Serials Librarian
Wesleyan University Library