Re: Best Resources for Serials Mgmt and/or Cataloging (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 13 Jul 1999 16:08 UTC

2 messages, 94 lines:

(1)--------------------------
Date:         Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:59:07 -0400
From:         Lauren Corbett <lcorbett@ODU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Best Resources for Serials Mgmt and/or Cataloging

Marcia Tuttle's books are classics.  Try Managing serials /  by Marcia
Tuttle ; with chapters by Luke
Swindler, Frieda B. Rosenberg. OCLC #34767543

Lauren Corbett <lcorbett@ODU.EDU>
Serials Services Librarian
Perry Library
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, VA  23529-0256
Ph: (757) 683-4144
Fax: (757) 683-5954

(2)-------------------------------
Date:         Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:33:07
From:         Birdie MacLennan <bmaclenn@zoo.uvm.edu>

Marcia Tuttle's work is indeed a classic and is used in various library
programs to teach serials.  In addition to the other titles that have
already been mentioned, you might also want to peruse: _Serials
Management:  A Practical Guide_ by Chiou-sen, Dora Chen and _Notes for
Serials Cataloging_ by Beverley Geer and Beatrice Caraway.  And don't
forget to check out the web site for NASIG (the North American Serials
Interest Group) -- an organization that encourages dialogue and exchange
of information for folks working with, or interested in working with, any
and all aspects of the "serials information chain" -- at
http://www.nasig.org/

Citation information (from our OPAC) for the titles mentioned above
follows:

Author:      Tuttle, Marcia.
Title:       Managing serials / by Marcia Tuttle ; with chapters by Luke
               Swindler, Frieda B. Rosenberg.
Published:   Greenwich, Conn. : JAI Press, c1996.
ISBN:             0762301007
Series Title:     Foundations in library and information science ; v. 35
Notes:            Includes bibliographical references and index.

Author:        Chiou-sen, Dora Chen.
Title:         Serials management : a practical guide / Chiou-sen Dora Chen.
Published:     Chicago : American Library Association, 1995.
ISBN:          0838906583 (alk. paper)
Series Title:  Frontiers of access to library materials ; no. 3
Notes:         Includes bibliographical references (p. 161-175) and index.

Title:         Notes for serials cataloging / Beverley Geer and Beatrice
                  L. Caraway ; foreword by Regina Romano Reynolds.
Edition:       2nd ed.
Published:     Englewood, Colo. : Libraries Unlimited, 1998.
ISBN:          156308449X
Notes:         Rev. ed. of: Notes for serials cataloging / Nancy G. Thomas
                  and Rosanna O'Neil. 1st ed. 1986.
               Includes bibliographical references (p. 161-163) and index.

Regards,  -- Birdie

        Birdie MacLennan
        Coordinator, Serials & Cataloging
        University of Vermont