Periodicals Usage Survey (Dani Lichtenberg) Marcia Tuttle 05 Aug 1999 15:46 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:42:56 -0400
From: Dani Lichtenberg <p005386b@PB.SEFLIN.ORG>
Subject: Periodicals Usage Survey

I have a question regarding tracking periodicals usage.  In a public
library with open stacks, how are other libraries tracking how often
titles are used?  Encouraging patrons to not reshelve materials, and then
keeping track of which ones are reshelved by library staff is one way to
track usage.  Another way is to conduct some kind of survey, requesting
patron comments on which titles they consider useful and which they don't
find useful.  I seem to remember other techniques mentioned while I was
in library school, such as taping or stapling magazines shut and seeing
if anyone "unfastens" them.  What other methods are being used for this
purpose?

Dani Lichtenberg
Serials Supervisor
Palm Beach County Library System