Periodicals Usage Survey (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 06 Aug 1999 15:22 UTC

----------(1)
>From skworj@UWGB.EDU Fri Aug  6 11:07:27 1999
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:45:45 -0500
From: "Skwor, Jeanette" <skworj@UWGB.EDU>
Subject: Re: Periodicals Usage Survey

***I agree, most wholeheartedly, and would add that your more heavily used
titles (in our library, the education and nursing titles) would quickly be
destroyed.  How many times can one rip an issue open?  I also find myself
wondering what I would think, as a patron, upon entering a library to access
a periodical and finding them all secured with staple or tape.

***Our signs simply state, "Please do not re-shelve periodicals.  We need to
count them for usage statistics."

Jeanette L. Skwor                       Email:skworj@uwgb.edu
Serials Dept., Cofrin Library           Phone: (920)465-2670
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay       Fax: (920)465-2783
Green Bay, WI  54311-7001

----------(2)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 14:26:34 -0800
From: Sandy Heft <sandy.heft@SONOMA.EDU>
Subject: Re: taping journals shut

                      RE: taping journals shut                     8/5/99
Julia
Don't panic.  Some libraries have used the taping shut method and have
found it works well.  The key is to use removable tape and to do the taping
during a use study, not as a routine procedure.

Sandy Heft
Head, Technical Services
Ruben Salazar Library
Sonoma State University