Re: 2 frequencies (Beth Guay) Marcia Tuttle 10 Aug 1999 19:01 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:33:03 -0400
From: Beth Guay <bg53@UMAIL.UMD.EDU>
Subject: Re: 2 frequencies (P. Michelle Fiander)

Dear Michelle,

Is the first issue the only issue you have in hand? If you have a run in
hand, it would be easier on you to go ahead and state the actual
frequency. The use of the 936 could be one means to convey your certainty
about the frequency. (CCM module 13, p. 10 states:  "In general, give the
stated frequency. In cases where it is obvious that the stated frequency
is not the actual frequency, as evidenced by a number of issues and the
numbering of those issues, give the actual frequency when it can be
determined").  In EITHER case, you have enough justification to note the
actual frequency. The publisher states in the issue that the frequency is
semiannual. Consider omitting altogether the other title information.
While CCM module 6, p. 34 states you should record the subtitle when it
contains the name of the corporate body responsible for issuing the serial
(and I'm assuming from your question that the piece you have in hand
does), further reading of module 6 offers this advice: "Generic words and
phrases that merely indicate the type of publication, such as ...
'quarterly journal' should always be ommitted." You could accomodate
recording of the the issuing body in a 550 note. I would personally go
that route than the route of use of the mark of ommission in the subtitle
for the frequency (which would allow you to record the body in the
subtitle).

Have fun,
Beth

> area , the frequency is given as semi-annual. A call to the organization
> confirms that the publishing pattern has been twice a year; with one year
> seeing only 1 issue published.
>         My inclination is to indicate the frequency as twice a year not
> quarterly, with a note indicating the frequency according to the subtitle on
> the first issue. Does this sound like a reasonable approach?
>         Thanks for your help,
>

> ***************************
> Michelle Fiander
> Cataloging/Reference & Research