Re: Organizational structure in serials acquisition units Michael Maiers 10 Sep 1999 13:59 UTC

Susan,

        I am the Serials librarian for the largest public library
cooperative in Michigan. We handle all the subscriptions for over 40
libraries. I have a few suggestions which may help.

        1.) Reorganize your group according to processes performed
(ordering, claiming, binding, etc.). Some tools that may be helpful are
Activity-Based Management guides and business reengineering books like
Hammer's Reengineering the Corporation and Senge's Fifth Discipline
Fieldbook. Also look into thid article:The cost of library services:
activity-based costing in an Australian academic library. By Ellis-Newman,
Jennifer.; Robinson, Peter. Citation: The Journal of Academic
Librarianship. v24:5 (Sept. '98), 1998. pp. 373-9. Number: BEDI98033128.
ISSN: 0099-1333.

        2.) Document these processes and encourage cross-training. It will
make the staff more flexible to handle workloads that may cause delays or
backlogs, such as annual renewal of periodicals for the entire
institution.

Hope this helps.

 Michael Maiers <mmaiers@TLN.LIB.MI.US>