Re: Laptop Computers in the Library (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 10 Sep 1999 21:07 UTC

2 messages, 89 lines:

(1)---------------------------
Date:         Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:41:52 -0500
From:         Peter Picerno <ppicerno@CHOCTAW.ASTATE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Laptop Computers in the Library

We allow our lap-tops to be checked out to faculty, so while our
situations seem not to be the same, our accountability factor comes into
play in that we require photo ID as well as a signed receipt slip when
they're checked out -- the prospect of being billed for a few thousand
dollars seems to be enough to insure that they get returned.

Peter Picerno

Dr. Peter V. Picerno
Collection Development Team Leader
Dean B. Ellis Library
P O Box 2040 - 108 Cooley Drive
Arkansas State University
State University, AR 72467
(870) 972-3078
(870) 972-3199 FAX
ppicerno@choctaw.astate.edu

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:22:00 -0500
From:         Barbara Attebery <battebery@OCHSNER.ORG>
Subject:      Laptop Computers in the Library -Reply

Hi Mark,

  We are a teaching hospital but not university affiliated but we do have
8 laptops that we allow patrons to check out for use in our library.  We
do not use security strips because they interfered with our use of the
laptops.  What we do is when they check out the laptops, they are required
to leave their picture I.D.  This I.D. is what they use to get in and out
of the parking garage, to swipe to get into certain restricted areas, and
it is also used as a debit card for eating in the cafeterias, etc.
Therefore, it is of value to them and we know who has the card and how to
track them down if necessary.  Also, they are employees which makes them
less likely to "appropriate" the computers.  The computers are used
somewhat for literature searching on the Internet but mostly for word
processing, Power Point, and Excel programs.  As far as assessing patron
satisfaction, we are starting a new "Point of Service" survey regarding
all library services but this is not implemented as of yet.

Barbara

Barbara Attebery, MLIS, AHIP
Librarian-Collection Development
Alton Ochsner Medical Library