Re: Organizational structure in serials acquisition units Stephen Lacey 13 Sep 1999 22:47 UTC

Susan

It would seem from your statement that the staff are already cross-trained,
as Michael Maiers puts it.  My suggestion is to keep with the broad based
tasks but don't restrict your staff or yourself by breakdowns of
subscriptions by title or by vendors.  Certainly the staff can specialize in
some tasks, such as cataloging, and these staff can be the first contact for
questions & problems from other areas regarding this process.

The Technical Services Branch of the Library moved to multifunctional work
teams during 1996/97 and although we are still refining some areas, overall
the change has worked out well.  Units now control the acquisition,
cataloging, processing etc. of a particular type of material (eg. O/S
Serials). Managers have a newfound flexibility and staff have found an
opportunity to learn a variety of tasks and processes rather than being
stuck within one process with limited tasks.

I am unable to find my notes regarding relevant reading material but there
are many titles which have been published in the US about multifunctional
work teams, especially in libraries.

Regards

Steve
Stephen Lacey