Re: Serial component part included within serial B.E. Swetman 16 Sep 1999 22:04 UTC

At 03:13 PM 9/15/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:20:18 -0400
>From: "Jean L. Hirons" <jhir@LOC.GOV>
>Subject: Component parts of serials
>
>Field 773 is currently being used in records created for titles in
>aggregations as part of a PCC project to indicate the name of the
>aggregator as a host.

I must admit that I am confused about the use of a 773 on an analytic
record (Blvl: b) vs. a series or Project name on an independent serial
(Blvl: s) record. Has or will the PCC Task Group give guidelines as to
which to use in what circumstances? The Interim Report in May says without
explanation: 1.Presumably the aggregator analytics will always contain
value "b" (serial component part) in the Bibliographic level (Leader/07)

For example JSTOR, Academic IDEAL and Project Muse titles are usually
level: s records. The demo records are Level b in the Task Group Report at
http://lcweb.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/aggupdrpt.html. I must admit that I think
of publishers titles sold as a set like IDEAL or Muse as different from
aggregators, but others often include them as example.

I am concerned because I don't think we have any analytic serial records in
our OPAC and I'm not sure if my system will pick up the Blvl: b records
when a search is limited to serials. It's something we will have to deal
with, but before I spend time on it, I'd like to be sure this decision is
fixed.

I am also concerned because currently we have to use a single URL for all
titles and go through the aggregator service's search engine to get to the
individual titles; we can't link directly to it from a Web page or the
catalog record. We are trying to persuade our vendors to provide URL's that
go directly to the holdings or contents for a particular title. If we get
them to do that, they become much more like the independent titles in JSTOR
for example. Would Blvl: b still be appropriate in this case?

(Last May I found the Task Group Report from the PCC pages at LC. I could
only find it today because I had the URL on the print-out I made. If there
is anything more recent I could not find it)

Thanks,

B.E. Swetman                            bswetman@hamilton.edu
Hamilton College Library                Clinton, NY

You may not be able to tell on the Internet who's a
dog -- if you care -- but you can generally tell who
has a mind! -- R R Neuswanger