Re: Inteview questions -- 2 messages Stephen D. Clark 29 Oct 1999 09:56 UTC

2 messages:

1)-------------------------------

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Inteview questions -- L.H. Kevil
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:38:30 -0400
From: Linda Meiseles <LIBSRLZM@MAIL1.HOFSTRA.EDU>

all, after all the obvious questions, like the ones mentioned before, I
ask the same two questions that the serials librarian asked me at my
first library position. do you like mystery novels, and do you enjoy
crossword puzzles.
if i receive an enthusiastic response then i know for sure the person
will work out. after 14 years as a head of a serials dept. these 2
questions have served me well.

linda meiseles
serials librarian
hofstra university
libsrlzm@hofstra.edu

2)-------------------------------
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:03:01 -0500
From: "Kevil, L H." <KevilL@missouri.edu>

Hi Jerri,

Here are our questions:

        Questions for Library Clerk Candidates

+ Can you meet the physical requirements listed in the job
description?
Characterize your manual dexterity.
+

+ Foreign language knowledge

+ Are you able to work 8-5?

+ Are you able to work up to 4 hours straight on a PC or terminal
(with
breaks)?

+ How much library experience do you have?

+ How much automation experience do you have

+ What do consider to be your strengths and weaknesses?

+ What made you decide to apply for this position?

+ What can you bring to the job? What can the job give you?

+ How detail-oriented are you?

+ What circumstances or situations at work have caused you the
greatest
frustration? How do you deal with frustration? Give actual examples,
if
possible.

+ Discuss actual people problems you have had in the workplace & how
you
handled them. If no actual examples, discuss how you would handle a
hypothetical problem of your choice

+ Discuss your organizational skills. (ever-changing environment,
flexibility, etc.,)

+ What qualities would you like to see in your own supervisor?

Hunter

L. Hunter Kevil,
Collection Development Librarian,
176 Ellis Library,
University of Missouri-Columbia,
Columbia, MO 65201
Voice:  573-884-8760
Fax:    573-882-6034
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:17:15 -0400
From: Jerri Swinehart <swinehar@OAKLAND.EDU>

        Shortly I will be interviewing candidates for a Serials Clerk
position. My predecessor in the manager's position apparently
destroyed all extant copies of interview questions. While there are
interview questions that apply across ALL positions in Technical
Services, are there other questions that would be beneficial to ask?
It
occurred to me, for example, that a question about being
detail-oriented
would be appropriate. Anyone have any suggestions?

        If this is not of interest to the list, please e-mail me
privately.

        Thank you.

        Jerri Swinehart
        Manager-Technical Services
        Oakland University
        Kresge Library
        Rochester, Michigan 48309-4401
        swinehar@oakland.edu
        (248)-370-2478

"Denial is a wonderful place to live but you have to watch out for the
crocodiles."