Re: Interview questions (2 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 29 Oct 1999 17:34 UTC

2 messsages:

1)______

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:56:27 -0400
From: Sherry Petry <spetry@CE1.AF.PUBLIC.LIB.GA.US>
Subject: Re: Inteview questions -- Jerri Swinehart

Jerri, I have limited experience with interviewing, but I always ask a
question aimed ata candidate's appreciation for details.  I usually ask
them to tell me about a project or work situation that required them to
focus on details whether at work or from personal experience.  You can
tell a lot from the experience that they select and how they describe it.
If they can't describe it in detail, they don't know about details!

Sherry Petry                            spetry@af.public.lib.ga.us
Periodicals Department                  404-730-1917
Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
1 Margaret Mitchell Sq.
Atlanta, GA  30303

                Opinions expressed are my own and do
                not represent the Atlanta-Fulton
                Public Library

2)_____

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:23:07 -0400
From: Lauren Corbett <lcorbett@ODU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Inteview questions -- 2 messages

Jerri,

Most of our interview questions are similar to Hunter's.  In filling a vacancy
for a Check-in Assistant,  I don't limit my candidates to those with experience
in serials.   I look for people who are familiar with working in a database and
any previous work experience that required accuracy with details, such as
working with numbers and spreadsheets.  We teach problem recognition and then
the Check-in Assistants refer problems to the Library Assistant who has serials
expertise.  Library experience was a plus.  If I were looking for serials
experience, I'd ask more specific questions as some of the other respondants
have indicated.

Lauren Corbett
Serials Services Librarian
Perry Library