Fwd: Re: Stolen magazines -- 3 messages Stephen D. Clark 13 Oct 1999 12:20 UTC

3 messages:

1)--------------------------------

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Stolen magazines -- Dani Lichtenberg
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:36:46 -0500
From: "Skwor, Jeanette" <skworj@UWGB.EDU>

***While it's true that security strips don't always cause the alarm to
go
off, I think they do provide a deterrent just because people who are
wont to
take library materials home know they have to get past them.

***Publicity is also good.  Can you get the local paper to do an article
on
the problem and the ramifications of the loss (costs of replacement, not
having full volumes in the collection, etc)?

***Are the journals well stamped or marked so that it is obvious they
belong
to you, and will the thief need to remove the front cover or more to
disguise that fact?  You may want to invest in a large stamp, and stamp
them
twice, both on the cover and on the first page, or contents page.

***Good luck,

Jeanette L. Skwor                       Email:skworj@uwgb.edu
Serials Dept., Cofrin Library           Phone: (920)465-2670
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay       Fax: (920)465-2783
Green Bay, WI  54311-7001

2)---------------------------------
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:50:58 -0400
From: Sherry Petry <spetry@ce1.af.public.lib.ga.us>

We keep a handful of current issues at the front desk which we deem at
highest risk and we take patron ID for their use.  We used to keep even
more current issues at the desk, but the time consumed in taking and
giving back ID's kept us from doing other things (time that we now use
fill paper trays and restart frozen terminals -- ha!), so many current
issues are just thrown to the wolves so to speak.  We know they will
disappear when they go out, but we don't have the security personnel,
the
technology in place or the library staff to prevent the theft.

We do have a contract to receive core titles prebound.  When that
company
produces as they promise, the Times, Newsweeks, etc are on the shelf
bound
within a few weeks, well, months.

Sherry Petry                            spetry@af.public.lib.ga.us
Periodicals Department                  404-730-1917
Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
1 Margaret Mitchell Sq.
Atlanta, GA  30303