Fwd: 006 in Print record with Ref to Electronic -- Beth Guay Stephen D. Clark 15 Oct 1999 14:31 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 006 in Print record with Ref to Electronic -- Michelle P.
Fiander
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:15:37 -0400
From: Beth Guay <bg53@umail.umd.edu>

Hi Michelle,
Perhaps you have identified an editorial error. These things happen to
those who nit-pick,
i.e., catalogers! I think that the last sentence quoted below should
read: OCLC's guidelines
are compatible with CONSER's. {Period} To my understanding, neither OCLC
nor CONSER permit the
addition of a 006 for computer file characteristics to a "single" record
describing printed
material and noting the existence of its electronic counter-part. There
is some excellent
guidance on this matter in the CEG, Section E: Technical Guidelines on
the "Use of fixed fields
006/007/008 and Leader Codes in CONSER Records."

Of course, these are my opinions, and not institutional position
statements of any kind!
Cheers,
Beth Guay

Serials Cataloger