Re: 006 in Print record with Ref to Electronic -- Crytsal Graham Stephen D. Clark 18 Oct 1999 07:17 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Fwd: 006 in Print record with Ref to Electronic -- Beth
Guay
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:28:32 -0700
From: Crystal Graham <cgraham@ucsd.edu>

OCLC requests that we include an 006 for computer file in records that
actually describe the electronic version so that people limiting by /com
will retrieve the record for the electronic.  They ask us not to include
an
006 when making single records for both versions (variously known as
single
records, multiple version records, composite records) so that those
records
will not be retrieved when people limit by /com.  Eventually there will
be
a fixed field code for this purpose, but the 006 is the mechanism to be
used in the meantime.  (For details on the fied field codes see
http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/marbi/1998/98-06.html).

I think the problem with the OCLC documentation is the juxtaposition of
two
true but somewhat unrelated statements.  If you add the connecting
phrases
given in brackets, it makes perfect sense.

CONSER...permits a single record for a non-electronic item to include
information for the
electronic version.

[OCLC also allows a single record.  In fact], OCLC's guidelines are
compatible with CONSER's [in all respects] except THAT OCLC REQUESTS
THAT
YOU ADD FIELD 006 as described in this document."

Crystal

At 07:31 AM 10/15/99 , you wrote:
> [...]

Crystal Graham
Head, Digital Information & Serials Cataloging
and Serials Librarian
University of California, San Diego #0175K
La Jolla CA   92093-0175
cgraham@ucsd.edu
V: 858-619-534-1283
F: 858-832-0349